Comfort

Dexter

Comfort

Post by Dexter »

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
II Corinthians 1:3‭-‬4 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/2co.1.3-4.NKJV
🙏
👋 :ugeek:
Helen Pomery

Re: Comfort

Post by Helen Pomery »

Thank you Dexter

When I was in BCF I became more and more uncertain of my salvation as the men disciplined and bullied me.

I read the following devotional tonight and couldn’t help but feel so grateful for the assurance of salvation in Jesus Christ.

I hope you can rejoice too:
Delighting in the Covenant

“He has commanded his covenant forever.”

Psalm 111: 9

The Lord’s people delight in the covenant itself. It is an unfailing source of comfort to them as often as the Holy Spirit leads them into the banqueting house and waves the banner of love. They delight to contemplate the antiquity of that covenant, remembering that before the daystar knew its place or planets ran their course, the interests of the saints were made secure in Christ Jesus. It is peculiarly pleasing to them to remember the certainty of the covenant while meditating upon God’s “steadfast, sure love.” They delight to celebrate it as signed, sealed, and delivered!

Their hearts often overflow with joy to think of its immutability, as a covenant that neither time nor eternity, life nor death will ever be able to break—a covenant as old as eternity and as everlasting as the Rock of Ages.

They rejoice also to dine upon the fullness of this covenant, for in it they see all things provided for them. God is their portion, Christ their companion, the Spirit their Comforter, earth their lodge, and heaven their home. They see in it an inheritance that is reserved for every soul possessing an interest in its ancient and eternal gift. Their eyes sparkled when they saw it as a treasure-trove in the Bible; but how their souls were gladdened when they saw in the last will and testament of their Christ that it was bequeathed to them!

More especially it is the pleasure of God’s people to contemplate the graciousness of this covenant. They see that the law was made void because it was a covenant of works and depended upon merit, but they perceive this to be enduring because grace is the basis, grace the condition, grace the bulwark, grace the foundation, grace the capstone. The covenant is a treasury of wealth, a granary of food, a fountain of life, a storehouse of salvation, a charter of peace, and a haven of joy.

C. H. Spurgeon
August 26, 2023
Truth for Life
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Thanks Helen,

That word "covenant" became a bit of a trigger word for me unfortunately. I trust your judgment though, and I am also somewhat partial to Spurgeon, so I'll persevere and re-read it until the trigger jams.

🙏
Helen Pomery

Post by Helen Pomery »

Sorry to include a trigger for you Dexter.

May I share something very personal in regard to triggers.

For over 20 years I’ve been attending many various churches trying to find a church / home and family. I’ve lost track of how many churches I have left in tears as I’ve been triggered. Sometimes it’s been a scripture used as a weapon against me, other times it’s been a song, a hymn or a prayer. Anything in a church setting can trigger a person who has been spiritually abused.

It’s not only in churches where I’ve been triggered or hurt or reminded of my excruciating loss. It happens anywhere and when I’ve least expected it. Once I was walking through a doorway and a young man passed close by me. He was talking on his phone and he said, “love you Mum”. In a split second I was reduced to a crying mess.

I’ve just recently found a church where God has made it abundantly clear that this is now my church family. I’ve been triggered in church services and Bible studies resulting in tears and distress. I spoke to the minister because I was worried no would understand why this woman keeps crying. He said, “Helen, don’t worry about your tears. This church is for the broken!!!”

Isn’t that a wonderful way to reassure and embrace a person who has just been triggered? If I could reach out via this forum and give you a big hug, I would. It’s okay to be triggered, to be honest and real and true about our vulnerability after abuse. God understands and those who love Jesus also show compassion and empathy.

Dexter, the covenant of promise, by grace through faith in Jesus, is a wonderful reality. More of us should be tears together as God heals us and accepts our brokenness. His love is amazing. Blessings and love Dexter.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Thank you, thank you, thank you Helen. I want you to know how wonderful it is to hear from you here. God bless you!
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

If I could reach out via this forum and give you a big hug, I would.
Humbly received and reciprocated. 🤗
Once I was walking through a doorway and a young man passed close by me. He was talking on his phone and he said, “love you Mum”. In a split second I was reduced to a crying mess.
I can understand how devastating that would be for you. I've seen first hand a similar response in someone that had been affected directly by the xCF practice of familial contact avoidance. xCF shunning policies are remarkably heartless.
...the covenant of promise, by grace through faith in Jesus, is a wonderful reality
I believe it. ✅