A Clinician’s Guide to Working With Former Members and Families

Gillie

A Clinician’s Guide to Working With Former Members and Families

Post by Gillie »

Cult Recovery: A Clinician’s Guide to Working With Former Members and Families
Editors: Lorna Goldberg, William Goldberg, Rosanne Henry, Michael Langone

“Decades of valuable and useful research and treatment experience are contained in these essays. Nothing comparable exists in current mental health literature. It will be the standard reference for treating cult victims for years to come.”
—Stephen Kent, PhD, University of Alberta

“Never before has there been so instructive a collection of information on cult-relevant treatment issues. This book should be in easy reach on the shelf of any clinician who provides such treatment.” —Robert Cialdini, PhD, Author of Influence and Pre-Suasion

“I have been looking forward to this book becoming a reality. At last, a comprehensive guide to recommend to students and professionals wishing to learn more about how to help those affected by abusive groups. Through the contributions of leading experts dedicated over the years to helping those harmed by a cult experience, the editors have done an outstanding job of bringing together accumulated knowledge and new insights on cult recovery. A must-read for students and mental health professionals interested in setting a high bar for further work with those who suffer.” —Carmen Almendros, PhD, Associate Professor in Clinical and Health Psychology, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain

This landmark 500-page book, with chapters from leading clinicians and researchers, describes the current state of the art in helping people adversely affected by a cultic dynamic, whether in a cult, mainstream religious denomination, psychotherapy, family, or other interpersonal relationship.

People are different, and different people will respond to the same environment in different ways. That is why the first clinical rule in working with former cult members and families is to remain flexible and not rigidly adhere to a clinical ideology. The chapters in this book reflect this attitude of openness, while describing how different experts approach the kinds of problems that might confront therapists working with former cult members and those with affected loved ones.

Though primarily aimed at helpers, the clearly written chapters of this 500-page book can help family members and former members of cultic situations, including those born or raised in such environments.

Sale Price With Postage and Handling

$55 USA – media mail
$60 USA – priority mail
$70 Canada
$75 Other Countries

Go here to order: http://bit.ly/2rXBNRo

Contents
Introduction: ICSA’s Recovery Focus - Michael D. Langone PhD
Helping Families and Loved Ones

Overview: Helping Families and Loved Ones - William Goldberg LCSW, PsyA

Working With Families - William Goldberg LCSW, PsyA

Conflict Resolution for Families in Distress - Patricia Millar PhD, PCC and Cristina Caparesi

Exit Counseling - Carol Giambalvo

Helping Former Members: Individual Psychotherapy Overview: Helping Former Members: Individual Psychotherapy - Lorna Goldberg LCSW, PsyA

Cults: A Natural Disaster—Looking at Cult Involvement Through a Trauma Lens - Shelly Rosen LCSW

Counseling Former Cultists: The Brief Intermittent Developmental Therapy (BIDT) Approach - Steve K. D. Eichel PhD, ABPP, CST

Mentalization Attachment Approach to Cult Recovery - Rosanne Henry MA, LPC

EMDR—Overview and Application With First- and Second-Generation Former Group Members - Leona Furnari MSW, LCSW

Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for Former Members of High-Demand Groups - Madeleine Tobias MS, RN, CS

A Modern Psychodynamic Approach With First-Generation Former Cult Members - Doni Whitsett PhD, LCSW

The Role of Self-Care in Cult Recovery
: Issues for Practitioners, Members, and Former Members of Cultic Groups and Their Families - Linda Dubrow-Marshall PhD, Reg. MBACP (Accred.) and Rod Dubrow-Marshall PhD, MBPsS

Helping First-Generation Parents and Second-Generation Children Heal the Impact of Cult Harm - Lorna Goldberg LCSW, PsyA

Support Groups

Overview: Support Groups - William Goldberg LCSW, PsyA
Support Group for Former Cult Members - William Goldberg LCSW, PsyA and Lorna Goldberg LCSW, PsyA

An Independent Faith-Based Approach to Support and Recovery Groups for Those Affected by Harmful Religious Environments - Patrick J. Knapp MA, PhD candidate

Recovery Workshops, Intensive Programs, and Residential Treatment Overview: Recovery Workshops, Intensive Programs, and Residential Treatment - Rosanne Henry MA, LPC

The Colorado Model Recovery Workshop - Carol Giambalvo and Nancy Miquelon LPCC

The Wellspring Program - Donna Adams-Weiss PhD, LPC, Ron Burks MA, MDiv, PhD,LMHC, Greg Sammons MEd, LPC, and Lois Svoboda MD, LMFT

Relational Psychoeducational Intensive—Time Away for Postcult Counselling - Gillie Jenkinson PhD, MA, UKCP-accredited

Residential Treatment Modality for Cult Trauma Survivors - Robert Pardon MDiv, ThM and Judy Pardon MEd

Special Issues and Research

Overview: Special Issues and Research - Michael D. Langone PhD

The Relational System of the Traumatizing Narcissist - Daniel Shaw LCSW

How to Approach Cultic Studies Research - Lois Kendall PhD

What the Research Tells Clinicians About Current and Former Cultic Group Members - Lois Kendall PhD

ICSA Bibliography: Papers Related to Clinical Work With Families and Former Group Members - Kristine Langone BSW

http://www.cultnews101.com/2017/06/cult ... de-to.html
Dexter

Re: A Clinician’s Guide to Working With Former Members and Families

Post by Dexter »

I haven't looked too hard into the subject yet, but I'm wondering if anyone's aware of any research that specifically looks at the relationship between cult involvement (specifically for those born into one) and pre-frontal cortex development? I'm no brain surgeon so I may have the wrong terminology but what I'm talking about is decision-making and executive function. Thanks in advance.
👋 :ugeek:
Hope4

Post by Hope4 »

ICSA / international Cultic Studies Association have many professionals presenting current research and study in the subject of coercive persuasion and thought control within controlling groups.

ICSA organises specific workshops for ex-members of cults. It is also important to offer support and help for second-generation adults who were born and raised in cults. Workshops are carefully designed for specific needs because every experience is different.

If you look at the ICSA website you may find what you are looking for Dexter. Otherwise email them and they will put you in touch with someone doing that type of research.

All the best Dexter.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Thanks Hope4. I've just had a look at the ICSA website. I thought I already knew what it was but it's different than what I had in mind, so I must have been thinking of another organisation. The International Journal of Coercion, Abuse, and Manipulation looks promising. Thanks again!
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Hope4 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:41 pm If you look at the ICSA website you may find what you are looking for
I just posted a helpful list in the topic, Recognising How Cultic Groups Operate, within the Brisbane Christian Fellowship > General subforum.