Cognitive dissonance

Cognitive dissonance

Post by guest »

There have been some really informative posts of late with links to external content to help readers better understand how cult-like churches operate. I'd like to throw a couple of podcast episodes into the mix. But there is a warning: the two podcasts linked below are about an hour each. So you might need to spread these two episodes over a couple of long lunchtime walks or a lazy Sunday afternoon relaxing on the porch with your favourite tea brew.

The subject is cognitive dissonance, which I thought I knew (and did to some degree). But in these episodes, Elliot Aronson, a psychologist and academic researcher who has devoted decades of his life to the subject, explains how cognitive dissonance impacts all of us, all the time.

Since leaving xCF, I've often wondered why people stay in groups like this. Sure, there are very real reasons people stay. Fear of being cut off from family and friends, starting life over again, losing salvation... the list goes on.

I think the majority of xCF members, deep down, think there may be issues. Over the decades, countless leaders have suddenly been denounced under a cloud of mystery or dubious reasoning. And over the past ten years, there would have to have been hundreds of good, genuine people leaving the church, mostly with a preference to do it quietly. Most of the current xCF members will be well aware of these things. But at the same time, they would say, and maybe even sing, "There's no place I'd rather be". Why?

Cognitive dissonance has a fair bit to do with why people stay, and manipulative leaders are masters of exploiting this part of human nature. But rather than fumble over an answer, I'll hand it to the (genuine) experts. So get your walking shoes ready (or put the kettle on for a brew).

How We Live With Contradictions
https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/how-we- ... adictions/

Outsmarting Yourself
https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/outsmarting-yourself/
Seeker

Re: Cognitive dissonance

Post by Seeker »

Thank you for sharing this Guest. Sad to say I know the feeling well. Hoping to share more on this when I feel a little better. I will say this.....Cognitive Dissonance is another arrow in Vic's quiver and he seems to enjoy watching this play out in people who have the audacity to even consider leaving. The old double minded deal used to guilt the faithful.

Post by guest »

Thank you. Listened to one last night before falling asleep. It’s very helpful.
Lillith

Post by Lillith »

Very helpful indeed. Thank you so much for the post!