Dared to Doubt

Hope4

Dared to Doubt

Post by Hope4 »

This is an article from Dared to Doubt.

It may be helpful for some ex-members or those who are in the xCF and asking questions.

What Is Religious Trauma Syndrome?

Faith can be a comfort to many. For others, it can be the source of physical, emotional, and psychological damage.

Do you experience intense bouts of panic that come from nowhere?

Are you wrestling with feelings of confusion, paranoia, and rage? 

Do you have nightmares of going to hell?

Are you triggered by things that never bothered you before, like going to church for a wedding, or hearing a call to prayer? Or Even just hearing the word 'God'?

Maybe your emotions roller-coaster on highs of freedom followed by lows of depression. You might feel elated after leaving faith by the thrill of being able to do, eat, wear, and learn whatever you want, only to feel crushed by grief and anger a moment later. If these feelings sound familiar, you may be experiencing symptoms of Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS).

What Are The Symptoms?

Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS) is the clinical term given by Dr. Marlene Winell to the condition experienced by many who leave an authoritarian indoctrination. Symptoms include: 

• Cognitive: confusion, poor critical thinking ability, negative beliefs about self-ability and self-worth, black and white thinking, perfectionism, difficulty with decision-making

• Emotional: depression, anxiety, anger, grief, loneliness, difficulty with pleasure, loss of meaning

• Social: loss of social network, family rupture, social awkwardness, sexual difficulty, behind schedule on developmental tasks

• Cultural: unfamiliarity with secular world; “fish out of water” feelings, difficulty belonging, information gaps (e.g. evolution, modern art, music)

What Is The Cause?

RTS is the result of, "Authoritarianism coupled with toxic theology," says Dr. Winell. This crippling combo is often received and reinforced at church, school, and home, resulting in:

• Suppression of normal child development – cognitive, social, emotional, moral stages are arrested

• Damage to normal thinking and feeling abilities – information is limited and controlled; dysfunctional beliefs taught; independent thinking condemned; feelings condemned

• External locus of control – knowledge is revealed, not discovered; hierarchy of authority enforced; self not a reliable or good source

• Physical and sexual abuse – patriarchal power; unhealthy sexual views; punishment used as discipline

From the website:

Dared to Doubt.
Detaching from harmful belief systems.
Hope4

Re: Dared to Doubt

Post by Hope4 »

I know this syndrome is not recognised as yet.

Many who have exited xCF groups have been diagnosed with PTSD.

I posted this topic because it highlights the extent of damage inflicted upon so many people.

Current members may think these symptoms and the suffering of those who are shunned, is God’s judgment upon them.

Nothing could be further from the truth!!!

Those who are kicked out, excommunicated or who choose to leave can thank God for their deliverance from evil.

We may be ‘the walking wounded’, but I would rather be walking in the light and love of God, even if I’m despised and rejected, than bound to that darkness and deception.

Those who write on this forum are honest about their treatment from the elders. We humbly expose our grief and our wounds to readers because we care!!!

If anyone is reading this post, I would encourage you to doubt what you are being fed. Test the elders’ headship word by the Scriptures. Read your Bible. Talk to other believers. Anything to get your critical thinking skills activated again.

May God deliver you and your family. Written with caring love and concern. Hope
BreakFree

Post by BreakFree »

Hi Hope,
I was born into Christian Fellowship, I was a blank slate that the elders started indoctrinating before I was born. My experience differs from someone forced to join such as a child of a parent who willingly joins and also different again from the person who was deceived into the web of lies of CF. Spiritual recovery has been by far the hardest part of my journey. Initially I sought the help of different people with a variety of spiritual insights, I read widely on different theologies trying to find a new world view. The great difficulty I face is what I can intellectually tell you (my head) vs what has been deeply inserted into my soul (my heart) by the evil Vic and his minions. In essence what I am trying to say is I did not have a foundation of truth to fall back on, I had to find my own. I have only been out 5 years which in comparison to the 26 years I was in is relatively short time and honestly I could not tell you what I believe anymore, other than this, I know the kind of person I want to be because of how I treated in the CF. I look at the example of Jesus in the gospels and say that is an example I can follow, everything else as far as I am concerned doesn't matter.
I will finish on this. The treatment path I have gone down is very much the PTSD rout. I have had to get something called EMDR which has helped break through the layers of lies so that the real me can develop and not the CF mould I was made to be dies off.
Thanomere84

Post by Thanomere84 »

Breakfree, I'm much like you. I was only 4 when Vic "The Vicious Hall" Hall began getting heavily involved in my old church. However, only difference between me and you is that I did have a network of pastors and non-RFI/xCF Christians to help me when Vic threw me out. Thankfully, my stubbornness to NOT cut off friendships between me and my Christian friends from other churches caused me to regularly attend their events and gatherings, even while I was still part of Vic's network. So... I understand how you feel. When we've been brought up in that network, it can be difficult to rebuild outside of it due to the unusual upbringing we received.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

You did well, Thanomere. I'm reminded of the parable of the shrewd manager (Luke 16). Different situation but similar wisdom. My observations lead me to believe that those inside who maintain good, balanced relationships outside the fellowship (both Christian and non-believers) are usually more level-headed and less likely to suffer mental torment such as PTSD. I wasn't that shrewd, so I paid a heavy price.

There was a common threat when I attended that if you left the fellowship you would suffer from mental illness. What they didn't tell us is that most of the damage is done before you leave.
👋 :ugeek: