reclaiming what was lost

Hope4

Re: reclaiming what was lost

Post by Hope4 »

Thank you for your insights. I’ve read these posts with interest.

What I have noticed over the years is that young people who were ‘under’ Murray’s music direction were harmed deeply. Many became so disillusioned in the aftermath of leaving BCF or being kicked out, that they have never picked up their instruments again.

The scars and wounds Murray inflicted have taken many people years and years to be healed. Many young people who are now adults can’t play the piano, the flute, the viola, and so on, as a direct result of the BCF music culture.
Thanomere84

Post by Thanomere84 »

That is tragic... and honestly despite all I've seen, it is still a surprise to me. This is because I may have been a "lucky exception" of sorts even though I was under Murray's coaching. He didn't come down on me heavily or harshly. He frequently encouraged me to play with confidence, and even asked me to show him the classical pieces I had mastered. I wonder if Murray caused hurt or harm to others, due to direct instruction from Vic himself?
BreakFree

Post by BreakFree »

Around 2010 the music took a bit of a turn, they stopped being scriptural based and more VIC based. I remember writing some songs for various things. I used the inspiration of the old scripture in song music. a very large portion of my songs were flat out rejected. I could never understand why.

A side point on Murray. Does anyone else remember he released a book called 'Follow The Lamb'. Again 2010 it was his thoughts on the walk through of the gospel of John. I never had the chance to fully read it but I have an inkling that he may have been having doubts around this time abouut Vic's theology and seeking comfort from his Pentecostal roots. He wrote a beautiful song for his daughter Sarah called the secret place, it was very different from his other works.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

He wrote a beautiful song for his daughter Sarah called the secret place, it was very different from his other works.
Just a quick correction: the Sarah you mention was not related to the Wylies; her surname was spelt differently. That was a beautiful song though, which I’d forgotten about so thanks for mentioning it.

Regarding Murray himself, although I was terrified of him simply for the fact that he was an elder, I never had a bad experience with him and he was always encouraging and supportive with regards to my musical endeavours. I’m sorry to hear that others didn’t share that experience.
👋 :ugeek:

Post by guest »

Murray inflicted such cruelty upon many people for years and years, including myself.

I needed medical help to recover from flashbacks, night terrors and such.

What does it profit any of us, if we do not have love?
BreakFree

Post by BreakFree »

Dear Guest,
I am sorry you endured brutality. I relate to the flashbacks and night terrors and just how awful they are. I am glad you have been able to get some help.
You are right the leaders do not have any kindness, compassion or love in their hearts.
If you would like to get touch send me a private massage and we can talk more.
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

guest wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:56 pm Murray inflicted such cruelty upon many people for years and years, including myself.

I needed medical help to recover from flashbacks, night terrors and such.

What does it profit any of us, if we do not have love?
Hello Guest,

I’m very sorry you had this very regrettable experience. It must be awful.

I saw Mr W sweep his scythe through some unfortunate individuals. I could never reconcile how the message of Christianity (love) could so swiftly change to its opposite (judgement), and in quite ruthless and cruel ways. Perhaps better role models were needed? There was a tendency for forceful action (cruelty) to be considered ‘leadership’. Sadly nearly everyone who sought to be like the grand leader also ended up experiencing considerable righteous(?) anger. Not a healthy situation.

But none of this really helps you, I can only hope you can find peace, and most of all, forgiveness.

Take care,

Bagel