The Impact of Cults on Childhood Development

Dexter

The Impact of Cults on Childhood Development

Post by Dexter »

This is a video lecture applicable to second-generation or multi-generational cult members (people born into cults).

https://youtu.be/LqLh7KmsWY8?si=l0bi06yMPdY5bGXz

I thought it would be worthwhile to include this in the library for future reference as there may come a time when current members born into RFI etc will be looking for answers.

A peculiar twist in the 2nd- or multi-gen experience is that these people do not have a “pre-cult” identity to fall back on once they’ve exited.

I haven’t found too much info about this specific aspect so please feel free to post any additional info. I’m sure it will be appreciated.
👋 :ugeek:
Dexter

Re: The Impact of Cults on Childhood Development

Post by Dexter »

The following video might ruffle some feathers depending on your views on speaking in tongues. However, either way I think we could all agree that undue coercion and manipulation was at play in this young man's childhood experience. It's sad to see young people reject the gospel completely due to misrepresention of Jesus by control freaks and narcissists.

https://youtu.be/R1IDQyJUG8Q?si=Xd50NK8OR_Zhj_Bi
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Thank you Dexter. I'll check it out.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

This brief explanation of Complex PTSD might be relevant and helpful to people raised in cults:

https://youtu.be/qOibW5LXt3w?si=ASP9KcVpNKc3CS6w
BreakFree

Post by BreakFree »

I can definantly attest to having Complex PTSD from being born into CF. The good news is that when you step back from being in a cult and look at it from a medical perspective of having Complex PTSD there is a path for treatment and recovery.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Complex PTSD is nasty. I am so sorry you have had to live through this nightmare BF. TO all the parent's out there in xcf land, please, please, PLEASE look at the effect "Vic's Gospel" is having on your children, on your spouse.....on your family!

It amazes me that a group that preaches love, love, love from the pulpit can act with such hate and fear. The next time Vic, David, Peter, Richie (or another of new breed of young men) brings 'a word', please try to count how many times Jesus in mentioned in their sermon. I bet you will be quite surprised how little of Jesus is preached.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

More info on development of children raised in cults:

Born or Raised in Closed, High-Demand Groups: Developmental Considerations
Leona Furnari, L.C.S.W.

Link below:

https://cultrecovery101.com/born-or-rai ... derations/

A couple of sources cited in the article:

Markowitz, A., & Halperin, D. (1984). Cults and children: The abuse of the young. Cultic Studies Journal, 1, 143-154.

Schore, A. (2002). Dysregulaton of the right brain: A fundamental mechanism of traumatic attachment and the psychopathogenesis of posttraumatic stress disorder. Reprinted at www.trauma-pages.com. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 36, 9-30.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

A quote from the above article:

Markowitz and Halperin (1984) discuss the vulnerability and abuse of children in cults. A child’s parent, who is in a dependent, regressive state due to being under the influence of the group’s leader(s), “is prone toward abusive practices” (p. 154) and power over children is often the only power this parent may have.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

Here are two verses I never heard preached at BCF:

Fathers, don’t provoke your children, so that they won’t be discouraged.
Colossians‬ ‭3:21‬

You fathers, don’t provoke your children to wrath, but nurture them in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
Ephesians‬ ‭6:4‬

Instead I copped this doozy:

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭22:15‬