Paul Kovak's MCF Blog

Dexter

Re: Paul Kovak's MCF Blog

Post by Dexter »

Thanks Hope,

Maybe I came across as disparaging of the psych professions, which wasn't my aim.

In my case, I was fortunate to meet a Christian psych who helped me invaluably. And like you, I know God's hand was all over that introduction and subsequent meetings. It was a real, genuine answer to prayer and I thank God for that person.

There were, however, others (counselors, psychs) who seemed to dismiss the idea or existence of God. Maybe I was just paranoid but they seemed to be being secretly judging me for believing in a "giant sky fairy", or whatever they call God these days. I didn't have any confidence that they'd be able to help me.

Maybe as individuals we get different answers to our prayers but personally I didn't want to go to someone outside the body of Christ.

That isn't to say God can't use an unbeliever... it's just that I apply the principle of 1 Corinthians 6, regarding taking believers to court. I don't think it's a stretch to apply it to my situation. But I don't want to argue about it either so please just take this as an opinion not an disagreement 🙏😂
👋 :ugeek:
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

Hi Folks,

Just adding to the conversation here. There are those who want to leave ‘the cult’ but are looking for the least scary exit strategy. For some, it’s a matter of finding a ‘church’ that suits them better. For others, it’s a choice to give up the Kool-Aid altogether. So my words are for those who don’t want to simply change which bar they are drinking at, but who want to actually give up drinking completely.

One thing I noticed with some people who left xCF was that they had been told that if you didn’t attend xCF, their only option was to descend into complete depravity. And some people who left xCF sort of did, for a little while. And maybe that’s the only way that they could understand life, it has to be almost fanatical. But I’m here to say that it needn’t be.

There are gentle and supportive pathways out of the confines of xCF life. There are healthcare professionals who are super helpful and knowledgeable, and trustworthy. There are book clubs, movie clubs, walking groups and so on who can give your life some stability and structure while you find your feet.

Be kind to yourselves,

Bagel
baptist1611

Post by baptist1611 »

Hi Bagel, could you please clarify the following:
Bagel wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:51 am For some, it’s a matter of finding a ‘church’ that suits them better. For others, it’s a choice to give up the Kool-Aid altogether. So my words are for those who don’t want to simply change which bar they are drinking at, but who want to actually give up drinking completely.
If I am understanding you correctly, you are have likened all churches, whether they be the Christian Fellowship cult or a church that obeys the teachings of Jesus Christ, to administering "the Kool-Aid". The "Kool-Aid" referring to the Peoples Temple cult movement, who committed mass suicide in 1978.

I hope I am mistaken, but it appears that you have just described those who love and worship the Lord Jesus Christ and are part of his body, the church, as being in a death-cult.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

If I am understanding you correctly, you are have likened all churches, whether they be the Christian Fellowship cult or a church that obeys the teachings of Jesus Christ, to administering "the Kool-Aid". The "Kool-Aid" referring to the Peoples Temple cult movement, who committed mass suicide in 1978.
Actually, it was Flavor Aid that was used in the Jonestown massacre-suicide. Ergo, Kool Aid - and the wider body of Christ - are not implicated. I can see where Bagel may make the connection though, given that the flavor used was grape, much like the juice that gets passed around at most church communion services. (I don't know if that was by design or coincidental.) Either way, xCF should not be conflated with the wider body of Christ - especially since they no longer have any communion at all.
👋 :ugeek:

Post by guest »

I don't know if this is old news but i just saw this message on Paul's site..

mcfexposed.wordpress.com is no longer available.
The authors have deleted this site.
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

baptist1611 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:14 pm Hi Bagel, could you please clarify the following:
Bagel wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:51 am For some, it’s a matter of finding a ‘church’ that suits them better. For others, it’s a choice to give up the Kool-Aid altogether. So my words are for those who don’t want to simply change which bar they are drinking at, but who want to actually give up drinking completely.

I hope I am mistaken, but it appears that you have just described those who love and worship the Lord Jesus Christ and are part of his body, the church, as being in a death-cult.
Greetings baptist1611,

I hope things wonderful.

Great questions!

I'm sure you know people who have dropped out of the xCF (and other) Christian belief structures. Those whom I still have contact with often have acquired some sense of humour surrounding xCF, and perhaps some other branches of mainstream Christianity. It's not uncommon to hear the words 'kool-aid' sprinkled throughout conversations from time to time. I think one definition of it that I read was 'One who accepts an argument or philosophy wholeheartedly and blindly.' So, largely, a metaphor for blind obedience, laziness for academic rigour, or being hoodwinked, and so forth.

It appears, and I don't want to misunderstand, but you may well be a devout practising, and somewhat 'never-strayed-from-the-path' Christian, which is enviable. But my thoughts were pretty well addressed to people who are confused about their escape, the exit strategy, and the extreme guilt, and the feeling of betrayal, that can be experienced when walking out of a church that they dearly loved.

In one of your other posts you discussed the structure of the Christian church, headship, principles etc. And so when someone has to basically break all of those rules to leave, it's very difficult. Sometimes because the xCF culture makes things so binary, people can despair in all of the emotions that can arise. It's very, very hard, and can take years to recover.

So no, I don't draw the same parallels that you have described although I can understand what you're saying. But sometimes when people want to get out of xCF, their path may not be simple and easy, it may be fraught with years of guilt, distrust, shame, anger, confusion etc. And it may need breathing space completely outside of mainstream/organised religion.

Take care and all good wishes,

Bagel
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

guest wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:48 pm I don't know if this is old news but i just saw this message on Paul's site..

mcfexposed.wordpress.com is no longer available.
The authors have deleted this site.
Ah, sad :(

But thanks to the WayBackMachine, we have this...

https://web.archive.org/web/20210804174 ... press.com/

Post by guest »

It's still active, it's just been moved to another url: https://mcfopenletter.blog/
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

guest wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:39 pm It's still active, it's just been moved to another url: https://mcfopenletter.blog/
Better, and prettier :)
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Except, no new content on his blog. It seems when he left here, he no longer blogged.? Could that be so? I'd just like to know how he's doing.